When it comes to purchasing a watch, the market offers two different options; quartz and mechanical watch. Only a watch enthusiastic can understand the difference between these two and which one he should buy?
However, if you have not purchased a watch before and are worried about these terms, this article will solve all your confusion in no time.
What’s Quartz Watch?
A quartz watch is a timepiece with a special quartz crystal and an electronic oscillator and battery. The first quartz watch was designed in 1927 after the invention of the quartz crystal oscillator in 1921.
The cutting-edge technology of the quartz watch overturned all the watch mechanisms right after its invention. And it becomes the most accurate time-telling way in no time.
Working Mechanism of Quartz Watch
The mechanical and quartz watches mainly differ in structure and working mechanism. Here is the cycle used in working of quartz watch!
- Electricity from the battery or other source (solar cell) is applied to a quartz crystal oscillator. The oscillator starts producing oscillations at regular intervals.
- The oscillators are broken down into electric signals that occur at the rate of one pulse a second by means of an integrated circuit.
- The signals then convert into mechanical rotational movements, which are transmitted to the gears and drive the hands of the watch.
What’s Mechanical Watch?
Unlike quartz watches that use a source to measure time, mechanical watches use mechanical clockwork to measure the second’s interval. Mechanical watches use the main spring that can be hand-winding or self-winding.
Before the invention of quartz watches, all the pocket and wrist watches were mechanical. Today, many people love carrying a mechanical watch even after the invention of automatic and quartz watches.
Working Mechanism of Mechanical Watch
The internal structure of mechanical watches is pretty complex yet mesmerizing, and the same is true in their work. These watches have no circuitry, microchip, or battery inside. These watches are designed at a microscopic level with perfection and accuracy. And that’s the reason it’s among the favorite watch of many.
Every mechanical watch has five essential elements; energy, wheels, escapement, controller, and time indicator.
- The winding mechanism wound up regularly by hand produces the energy required for a watch to work. The main store of that energy is connected with the winding pinion.
- The barrel connected at the side of the mainspring transfer that energy to the interconnecting wheels. The wheels transfer that energy through the watch by moving one after another.
- The escapement stops the wheel from spinning out of control. Otherwise, all the energy will consume at once.
- The escape wheel moves in steps because the pellets lock and unlock the escape wheel interchangeably. Escape wheel tooth pushes against the pellet through which forked lever pushes against impulse pin.
- The swing of the balanced assembly controls the escapement while the balance assembly swings back and forth. Balance spring keeps this action regular.
- The time indicator shows the time. There is a canon pinion for a minute, an hour wheel for an hour, and a fourth wheel to carry the second’s hand. And that’s how we can watch the time.
The debate which one is better than both of these watches is not going to end. There are many types of quartz watches like quartz watch japan movt that are touching the peak of innovation. Still at many places, quartz cannot replace the importance of mechanical watch.
If you are interested in purchasing the cutting-edge quartz, check Alibaba.com for the latest collection and best quality solution.